Faraway Sir Ronald

It's been on and off for years but finally the time has come for Sir Ronald to be put out to pasture in Pembrokeshire and become Faraway Sir Ronald. Plenty of gardening to be done and the drink is already a distant memory. The KNOBS, who are they?

Goodbye Sir Ronald

Goodbye Sir Ronald
Quack quack

Thursday 25 October 2007

League: latest information

Copy of an email received by Ron from Andy who runs the league. Everyone who is under 35 or looks young (not many but definitely me!) will need to bring ID with them. This info could probably be added to Ron's new chart with weight of sacks!

Hi losers,

Updated results and league table. As always, any errors please let me know - and, please, again, let me have your scorers if you haven't already done so - this year it looks like there could be three or four candidates for the Golden Boot award, so every goal counts and every goals a hole.

On a more serious note, yet again I've had complaints about the ages of players. Where possible, I try to deal with any criticism objectively and see no point embarking on a witch hunt - in other words, I try to make it impersonal in the hope that those involved will sort out any perceived problems themselves. However, what I'm now getting is more than just mild concern - it is turning to anger and that cannot be good for the future of the league.

Everyone knows the rules, yet it appears they are being flaunted. I've got to the stage with this where I propose that the rules that exist are rigidly enforced. If this means teams have to bring proof of age with them, then so be it - it isn't working allowing teams to self police,and after one incident this weekend, there is little point in having a referee who just ignores any concerns that are raised. Accordingly,could I ask for your vote on whether you think if there is any doubt that a team satisfies the age rule before kick off, that team has aright to be given the ages of the players and if this proves that a sideis underage THE GAME IS AUTOMATICALLY FORFEIT 1-0 TO THE OPPOSITION.This is a bit Draconian, but it is of course unlikely to bother the majority like myself who are 50+, but I suggest any team with younger players, or even those who look young should consider having ID with them.

I know the above is heavy handed and almost patronising and I'm sorry for that, but I feel I've no choice but to spell out the concerns that have been raised in the hope everyone will respond in the right manner -if that means the rules have to be updated to achieve that, then so be it.

Cheers
Andy P

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of us drive so carrying your driving licence should be proof. I am quite happy to do this.

Anonymous said...

That comment was SERIOUS!!!!!
We've come to this!
Mind I always knew there was cheating going on, but felt the Knebworth point of view was placed in a box marked sour grapes, a distinct minority moan. Yet over the phone yi hear loads o moans.
Actually a couldn't care a fuck, we get some games to play, they call it a league. Wouldn't mind winning it if we get enjoyment out of it. But something still rankles, it's the gloating over the cheating that gets up my bracket. Also we are forced to adapt to compete with the cheating.



ron

Anonymous said...

iT wIll no dO me for. i nO have paspot or driv ticKet,

Anonymous said...

'Forced to adapt to compete' - screw 'em Ron! Who leapt like a salmon in one of the early games to head home? You RON!!! That's who! Tell the league we'll take on all-comers - i.d. or not! We're not frightened of anyone (apart from the missus!) - we're on a roll and long may it continue.

"Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!
I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England’s green & pleasant Land."

To the KNOBS and those who sail in her!

Anonymous said...

Sank with loss of all hands.
Woe is us!